Monday, September 19, 2016

Letter September 19, 2016

Wow a lot has happened! I'm safely in my new area of Mthatha- the furthest area from HQ in Cape Town (closer to Durban SA in fact). The area is quite poor and crime ridden but we have earlier curfews than most missionaries and we have cars so that is good. 

I'm in my new district with my companion Elder Zongoro from Zimbabwe. He is awesome and I've learned lots from him already. I've had 3 companions so far, Kruse, Keetch, and Zongoro- Zongoro is the first out of US so it's a cool experience. 

I'm still working on my driving (on the left). I'm the designated driver in our companionship because I'm licensed. Driving on the left, plus driving on the wrong side (right) into oncoming traffic, running red robots (lights) and speeding are a daily occurrence here.

My two other boardmates besides Elder Zongoro are Elders Hernandez from Mexico (first in CT Mission from Mexico) and Faingata'a from Tonga. Because we are so far away from anyone we are in our own district in the Queenstown Zone. and my companion Elder Zongoro is the District Leader.

My first night in the Boarding I got bit a lot (probably bed bugs, the other elders get bit too sometimes), so I found sleeping with a pair of long sunday socks over my arms saves them at night. I haven't really gotten bitten on legs or head so that's a good way I've found to prevent bites. 

I'm also now head chef in Mthatha Manor, and if my cooking can please a hungry Tongan, I can safely say it's half decent. Our favorite is baked chicken and potatoes/rice. 

Elder Zongoro and I got our first two baptisms yesterday as a companionship and we'll confirm them members next Sunday, they were Pamela and Iwe, a mom and a daughter. Pamela has another daughter that's not 8 yet or we would've baptized her too haha. It was a wonderful experience though. They are a very humble family. They live in a (about) 4m x 4m house made of cinderblock and a tin roof. They have 1 bed for the three of them, a small tv, and a small single burner plug in cook stove they cook on. They are such happy people though. 


The baptism yesterday was great although it was really cold and raining at times. The font (pool) we filled the day prior got real cold overnight (probs 11C) so it was freezing. But their faces as they came out of the water freezing were wonderful and so happy. The spirit was so strong there and it was great!
piano at the Mission Home

Me and Elder Zongoro from Zimbabwe


MTC transfer

With President and Sister Ashton (MTC President)
Table Mountain in Cape Town


Pamela's baptism 9-18-16

Pamela and daughter Iwe

Pamela's house (the one on the left)


Home Sweet Home for 4 months


1 comment:

  1. Kaden, I see that you are starting out in Umtata. That was my 3rd area back in 1989 and we were part of the East London Zone at the time. Congratulations on the baptism, the people of Umtata really are humble and loving. I see that they now have a branch building? When I was there we rented a room in the Library and only had about 5-8 people in attendance on a good week. We did get to hold a baptism in the Lake a few miles outside of town and that was really cool. You guys are kind of on your own out there so maybe you could do that also if you would like too. I laughed reading about your driving adventures in Umtata. Your description is quite accurate as to how it was for me driving there 26 years ago and I had the advantage of driving for 4 months in another area where the traffic laws were obeyed. Post a picture of down-town Umtata somewhere down by where the Kombi taxis hang out for me. Another thing that I remember from Umtata is they had some on the most amazing Lightning storms that I have ever seen. I am talking about lightning that branches and forks off in 5 or 6 different directions. If you get a chance take some pictures because it is awesome, but I don't know if it is the right season right now. Keep up the good work and if you start to get a little culture shock/home sickness just remember that you're not the first person from your street to have been there and you really are in Africa now! It is awesome, and you will have many more wonderful experience as you serve the people that your Heavenly-Father has sent you to love.

    Great job Elder
    Craig Hall

    ReplyDelete